(1) All utility bills for water and sewer service shall be rendered monthly and shall be called town utilities in this title.
(2) All utility bills are due and payable in full on the fifth day of the month approximately one month after the closing date reflected on the billing. (For example, whether the closing date is January 31st or February 3rd, charges are due March 5th.) If the fifth falls on a weekend or a legal holiday recognized by the town, charges are due and payable the following business day. If payment is not received in a timely manner, the unpaid bill shall become delinquent and a termination notice shall be given, informing the customer that termination of service shall occur no sooner than 10 days from the date of mailing of the notice of termination of service. Water service may be terminated when any portion of the utility bill is unpaid and delinquent. A late charge shall be levied against any customer who becomes delinquent, which shall be not less than $30.00 for water service only, $30.00 for sewer service only, and $30.00 for water and sewer service accounts. A delinquent balance may bear interest as allowed by state law in an amount set by the town council.
(3) A notice of hearing shall be included on the termination notice given to the customer, as required by CMC 13.15.090. In those cases where billing is sent to an occupant not a property owner, termination notice shall be sent to the property owner as well as the tenant. If a hearing is requested by the utility customer within five business days of mailing of the notice, the hearing shall be arranged in accordance with CMC 13.15.090. Service shall not be terminated until after the date of any hearing. A service charge pursuant to CMC 13.10.060 shall be levied for termination notices which must be paid, prior to reconnection.
(4) Utility services will not be made available to any person or property for which delinquent payments are owed until said payments are made or arrangements satisfactory to the town are documented in writing.
(5) Sewer charges will continue even if the water service has been terminated and are subject to a $30.00 late fee.
(6) Failure of customer to receive a billing mailed by the town does not prevent assessment of a late penalty. (Ord. 655 § 3, 2022; Ord. 598 § 1, 2017; Ord. 550 § 2, 2012)